Author Topic: The Ascension of Eddie Lyons  (Read 159 times)

Offline Eddie Lyons

• View Profile
The Ascension of Eddie Lyons
« on: September 06, 2024, 11:09:08 PM »
The raindrops fell against his hotel, as he looked through the sliding glass doors. He had been this way since he learned of his Proving Grounds prize. He exhaled heavily, Eddie wasn’t sure he was even ready for this, but that didn’t mean he was going to take it lightly. He had a chance to return home to the states as World Champion within his grasp.  He could just see the look on Coach Kaisers face when he strolled into The Lyons Den with a shiny world championship.

All that stood in his way was a man called Kris Ryans. Ryans, wasn’t just any man, this was a hall of famer. A man who had walked all the walks, and talked all the talks. But he was also the except type of opponent Eddie needed. If he could beat a hall of famer, a guy like Kris Ryans who had been to the mountaintop before then whose to say he couldn’t turn around and be the man to finally end the reign of Finn Whelan.

He felt the loving arms of his girlfriend Sabrina embrace him from behind, and he smiled.

“Watcha’ thinkin’ bout.?” she said gleefully.

“Just, you know.” he said, “I got a pretty big match coming up. If I win, then I have the most important few weeks of my career coming up.”

“You’ve been staring out that window for a half hour.” she said.

“Sorry.” he said, “It’s still sinking in…I might be World Champion when we return home to the states. I can’t say I saw that coming when I was placed into the Proving Grounds series."

He sighed, wondering if he could really pull it off. Becoming World Champion. Even if he beat the hall of famer Kris Ryans, he still had to take on Finn Whelan in London. He wondered, could he really be the one to finally put an end to Finn Whelan, and maybe even begin his eventual downfall? One man who he knew had faith in him was the man he defeated to earn this number one contenders opportunity. Aiden Reynolds. Aiden had stated on more than one occasion about how great he thinks Eddie is, and could see him taking on Finn for the championship.

“Eddie…” he heard Sabrina’s voice again

“Sorry…” he said, “Drifted off again..."

“C’mon, we should order a movie.” she said, “I know your match with uhhh…what was the guys name?”

“Kristopher Ryans.”
he said.

“The kid from Winnie The Pooh?”
said Sabrina eyebrow raised.

“No..” Eddie laughed, “That’s Christopher Robin. I’m facing Kristopher Ryans.Or I guess he goes by Kris Ryans now.”

“Well, whatever his name is.” she said, “I understand it’s important, and I’m always here to support you. But you can’t stress on it too much. You need to take some time to relax too. So, come lay down, cuddle with me and let’s rent a movie.”

Eddie nodded, she was right. If he overthought it, and worried about it too much, he may not even get past Ryans. He didn’t know much about Kris, but you don’t become a hall of famer by accident. It was getting late anyway. Maybe some relaxation would help.

“Alright.” he said, “How’s Predator sound?”

She shook her head, Eddie wasn’t winning this one.

“No.” she said smile, “You picked last time and I had to watch that man kill all those poor teenagers. It’s my turn, and we’re watching Twilight.”

“....Can we at least watch The Notebook or something instead.” Eddie grumbled, he didn’t like The Notebook either, but it wasn’t TWILIGHT.

“Nope. Twilight.” Sabrina smiled as she jumped onto bed and patted it to signal Eddie to come sit, “C’mon now…Eddie Lyons.”

Eddie sighed. There was no arguing. Twilight it was, he climbed into the bed next to Sabrina, and cuddled close with her, as they selected their film and began to watch.

________

The cameras catch the confident expression of Eddie Lyons when they open. He has the look of a man ready for battle, his eyes light up as he speaks with the confidence of a champion.

“Kris Ryans.” he began, nodding. “We haven’t met have we? Well I’m Eddie Lyons and around here I’ve got a reputation at being quite the tenacious little bastard. One of those guys, that just keeps on coming at you no matter what you throw his way. I know you’re a hall of famer, and I understand you earned your right to be one. That doesn’t come easy and I take away nothing from you. But if you choose to rest on your laurels and underestimate me, that would be the biggest mistake you make in your entire hall of fame career.”

He exhales heavily, knowing he has a tough road ahead of him if he wants to leave London as World Champion, but he also isn’t going to roll over and die for anyone.

“We had different roads in this series.” Eddie continued, “You beat Felix The Cat to get here who has a record that can only be compared to the likes of Justin Smith. I had to take on a tough competitor in Aiden Reynolds, the same man who took the Roulette Championship from me. SO who really fought to get here would you say? The man who beat Garfield or the man who fought to overcome a man who had already bested him in the past?”

Eddie looks into the camera for a moment, as if waiting for a response.

“You did come in with some strong wins over the Kasey brothers.” Eddie continued, “But they ain’t the only royal family in this business. Just because YOU may not know of MY family name, doesn’t mean the Lyons family is any less tougher than the Kaseys. Just ask around about The Lyons Den, and you’ll find that we have some of the toughest talent out there. My cousin Victoria, she may be a callous bitch but her results can’t be denied by even her harshest critics and trust me she’s got plenty around here. It’s just her attitude that stinks.”

He shakes his head. Victoria is his blood and there is always a part of him that cares for her because of that, but even he finds himself unable to defend her actions in SCW.

“That’s her burden to bear, and I can’t worry about her career.” he said, “I can only worry about mine, and Finn Whelan is someone I’ve been waiting to get my hands on for a while. We have….. a bit of a history from my early days in this business before I came to SCW and let’s just say I owe him one, by one I mean a nice right hook to the jaw.”

He was referencing an incident from his time in Pro Wrestling Excellence where he and Finn Whelan had some issues with each other that went unresolved when PWE closed, but Eddie never forgot about it, he just didn’t let it distract him, and simply waited until the time was right for him to get his hands on Finn.

“You can ask a man of honor like myself in Aiden Reynolds what he thinks of me.” Eddie said, “Or if you prefer the shadier types, you can ask Peter Vaughn. Both men, different mindsets when it comes to competing in that ring, but they still will both tell you that I am one tough sonofabitch and if you dont come as the best Kris Ryans you can be, then I will absolutely catch you slippin’ and go on to face Finn in London.”

He smiles at the thought. Being World Champion is every wrestlers dream. Should he beat Finn, this will be the first World Championship match of his career.

“Now, you Kris.” Eddie continued, “You have beaten Finn before, back around when we were all in a pandemic. So I’m sure that plays into your confidence. A victory over Finn Whelan is not an accolade many have. Finn is one of the best to ever do this, he wins championships wherever he goes, any victory over him doesn’t come easy, no matter when it happened. Now though, I think Finn might be at his most dangerous. He might be the best he’s ever been. He’s certainly not the same Finn you beat four years ago. In fact, nobody has been able to stop him in his current iteration. But you know what Kris? I just might be the one to do it. I want to be the one to do it, and I know I CAN be the one to do it.”

He exhales heavily, keeping a serious gaze on the camera.

“But I have to go through you Kris.” said Eddie, “But like I said, that’s just the boost of confidence I’ll need. I’ll earn my right to face Finn by defeating a hall of famer, and a man who’s beaten Finn in the past. I know you’re on your own little comeback tour Kris, but unfortunately the road has taken you through The Lyons Den, and that’s where it will end. See Kris, this isn’t going to be a story about the return of Kris Ryans to glory and prominence. This is going to be the story of the ascension of Eddie Lyons and he’s going to do it his way, the same way he always has, with HONOR BEFORE GLORY.

He exhales heavily and smiles confidently into the camera as it fades out to black.

Eddie was feeling some guilt. Here he had invited his new girlfriend on tour in an attempt to strengthen their relationship, and while it was working he felt he was still being too career focused and other than a night watching girly movies, he hadn’t really taken any time for her.

He watched her tapping away on her laptop and smiled, she caught his gaze and smiled back.

“Stare too much, and you’ll go blind,” she said with a grin.

“Sorry.” Eddie smiled, “Just. I’ve been so focused on this number one contendership thing, and getting to face Finn, I feel like I haven’t given you enough time.”

Sabrina smiled back at him again, “I’ve seen Japan, and Greece because of you.. I’m here in Sweden and I’ll get to see London as well. Trust me, you’re doing fine Eddie Lyons. Besides, I’m here for you too. You think I don’t want to see you achieve your dream and become a world champion?”

He couldn’t help but smile again, she was so sweet and supportive.

“I’ve even gone and done something for you.” she said, “I got in touch with your friend Cleo, and she got some people together, and well check it out.”

Eddie raised an eyebrow as she turned the laptop to him, showing him a video. In it he saw his friend, and PWS World Champion Cleo Phillips with several of the younger trainees at The Lyons Den forming a small crowd behind her.

“Yoooo Eddie my dude.” Cleo said as the video began, “Coach gave us the news, you have a chance to come home with the big one. We just want you to know, we’re pullin’ for you back home. We wanna see you take that number one contendership, and then we wanna see you be Finn Whelans kryptonite. I got a big match ahead of me too in a couple days with Sierra Williams, but I’ll tell you what. When you get back here, if both of us are World Champions of our respective companies, then we’re goin’ out and drinks are on me.”

Eddie smiled as he watched the video, he had a great respect for Cleo and all she had done to change her life from being a felon, and becoming an inspiration for underprivileged kids.

“Whatever happens Eddie.” the video went on, “You know we all love and support you back here. Now, you go get that SCW World Championship, I’ll be sure to defend mine and then we can see whose is shinier. We’ll see you soon, one love brother.”

The crowd clapped, as Cleo pounded her chest twice and the video ended.

Sabrina looked over at Eddie

“We all believe in you Eddie.” she said, “Me, your friends back home. We know you can do it. Remember, you told me how everyone thought Peter Vaughn was unbeatable and you managed to defeat him for a championship. Maybe that’ll be your thing. You always beat the supposed unbeatable champion”

“Well, it did take me like three or four times to beat Peter.” said Eddie, “But I see what you mean. I’m trying not to worry too much about Finn right now, can’t get too ahead of myself.  I won’t even get to Finn if I don’t get past Kris Ryans.”

“You will get past Kris Ryans.” said Sabrina, “And you will beat Finn Whelan and become the World Champion of SCW.”

“I sure hope so.” said Eddie

“You will. Or I’m dumping you.” Sabrina grinned.

“You wouldn’t!” said Eddie grinning back.

They both laughed and shared a quick embrace.

“Look.” said Sabrina, “All this…wrestling stuff is new to me. I’m getting used to it. I know I just want to support you.”

“Well, that was really nice.” said Eddie “I miss the crew back home. Championship or not, it’ll be good to see Cleo and everyone when we get back.”

“You know what’ll be really funny.”
Sabrina grinned.

“What's that?” asked Eddie.

“The look on Victoria's face when they celebrate you and not her.” she said.

“Well…now, I’m REALLY motivated.”
said Eddie with a laugh.

He could feel that World Championship within his grasp, just out of reach and he knew one thing at least, he HAD to beat Kris Ryans, and he HAD to show he could stand against Finn Whelan like Aiden Reynolds believed he could. Even if he were to fall defeat against Finn, this was Eddie’s chance to show he belonged at the top level, with the top talent.

And if he did lose to Finn, so what? So did everyone else. But if he did what many might deem impossible, and defeat Finn Whelan? Well that really would be icing on the cake wouldn’t it?

Kris Ryans would be wise to research who Eddie Lyons is quickly, because the youngest member of the Lyons family is on the prowl, hunting for the World Championship and he’s ready to devour anyone who tries to get in his way.

“You know Kris.” the voice of Eddie was heard as the cameras opened, “I’m excited I get to introduce you to the new era in SCW.”

Eddie confidently walks into frame and leans against a nearby stone wall.

“I’ve been around this place for just over a year now Kris.” said Eddie, “In that time I’ve been a Roulette Champion, and generally done pretty well for myself. But I’ll admit, I’ve run a little stagnant since losing the Roulette Championship. But I knew, if I kept my head down and just focused on being the best Eddie Lyons I can be, that it will pay off eventually, and this Kris. This is the payoff. This is where I show the world that Eddie Lyons is ready to become World Champion.”

His serious gaze is his usual one of confidence without seeming arrogant.

“I know I should maybe be a bit intimidated by someone with your accolades, and maybe it is a little.” Eddie said with a shrug, “But that’s not gonna break me. It’ll just further prove how much I do deserve this when I beat you, even with all your accolades. Kris, what it comes down to, is I am one hundred percent ready for you, but I don’t know if your ready for me.”

He takes a short pause, as he continues

“You could probably make some comparisons between LJ Kasey and myself.” Eddie continued, “But the thing is, LJ is where I was at a year ago. Trying to find his way up and just make his  mark. I’ve been making my mark in SCW, and now it’s time for me to move up. I need to represent for The Lyons Den, much as you want to represent Jet City. I’ve had some tussles with Jet City guys before, and they come hard but The Lyons Den? Well we just have this tenacity about us. We don’t really know when to stop. We all have different outlooks but what binds us is how tough each of us are.”

He takes another short pause, to catch some breath.

“Of course Wolfslair might have us both beat in terms of overall talent, success and all that.” Eddie shrugged, “They produce a lot of of the top talent in this industry, it’s up to guys like us to show that it isn’t all Wolfslair. You for Jet City, me for The Lyons Den. We just want to make those we call family proud. At least I do. They’re all pulling for me back home, my crew wants to see me come home with the gold and I won’t you get in my way of getting that chance Kris. I refuse. I refuse to let Finn’s accolades and success intimide me as well. All of us are fallible, me, you, even Finn. All you really need is a strong mindset. Accept your setbacks and learn from them. Also patience, patience is key. I came into this company expecting nothing, and became Roulette Champion in my first year. I’d say my rookie year went pretty well.”

He nods to himself.

“Now, it’s time to see what I can really do.” said Eddie, “It’s time to show the world that Eddie Lyons is next to rise to the top. We’re both going to have to live up to our namesakes in this one  Kris. You will find out how unbreakable I am, and that if you do intend to break me, well you’re going to need a miracle.”

Eddie smirks with confidence at the camera, looking more ready than he’s ever been as the scene closes. The look in his eyes is one of a man seeking to be champion again, but not just Roulette Champion, this Eddie Lyons was looking to be champion of the world.

“That thing is huge.” said Eddie looking at the Cinnamon Bun Sabrina had ordered from the Fika Cafe he took her too.

“And it’s all mine.” she said smiling.

“I can’t have one bite?”
said Eddie with a feigned sorrow.

“Nope.” Sabrina grinned, “All mine.”

As if putting a stamp on her point, she smiled with an exaggerated  Mmmmmmm.

“You’re a monster.” Eddie grinned

He of course didn’t care, they were just being playful. He was fine with his coffee, and just being here with a feeling that everything was looking up. He had a good relationship going, and how career was sure to take a turn if he beat Kris Ryans. Even if he lost to Finn, just being there and showing he was on that level would be career changing.

“So, how you liking Sweden?” he asked Sabrina.

“It’s cold, but it’s nice.” she said, “Be cool if we got to see The Northern Lights, but it’s not quite that time of year. I think Japan was my favorite so far, but I’m really excited for London.”

“Yeah, so am I.” said Eddie.

“We're gonna ride the big ferris wheel right?” she asked, her eyes sparkling as she smiled

“London Eye?” he replied, “Yeah, of course. “We can go see Stonehenge and the Tower Of London too.”

“And then you cap it all off by winning a world championship.” she said.

Eddie nodded, Sabrina was so supportive even without knowing much about the wrestling business. All she wanted to do was support Eddie in his dream and he appreciated her for it.

“Thanks. I’m gonna do my best to make it happen.” he said. “Wait, you FINISHED that thing already?”

He looked at the crumbs on the plate where the Cinnamon Roll had once been, the girl had DEVOURED the thing.

“...It was really good.” she said, mouth still full of the final bites. “Next time buy one for yourself dummy.”

Eddie laughed.

“Well, you got me there.” he said. “But it’s probably best I avoid junk food for now, especially if im on a path for a potential world championship match. I need to make sure I’m as healthy and strong as I can be.”

“Cool.” Sabrina said, “More sweets for me then.”

They both smiled at each other.

“I guess so” Eddie laughed.

“Just remember.” Sabrina continued, “Whatever happens, I’ll support you. Your friends back home at The Lyons Den will support you. We all believe in you Eddie. We want to see you do this even more than you want to win it yourself.”

“I don’t know about that.” Eddie said.

“Just reminding you of all those pulling for you.” she said, “I may not be play a large role in your career, but I’m always here to help support you.”

“Thanks Sabrina.” he replied.

“Now, I think I saw a really tasty looking sponge cake.” she said, “A Princess Cake the sign said.”

Eddie shook his head.

“Let’s go check it out then.” he said, finishing his coffee, and walking hand in hand with Sabrina for yet another pastry before they continued their own personal time in Sweden, including a nice stroll down Gamala Stan and a stop at the Skansen Museum

_________

Eddies career trajectory could change vastly if he beat the hall of famer Kris Ryans., and even more so if he did manage to go on to beat Finn Whelan. But just getting to the dance was a big enough step up for the unbreakable one. This was his time, he could feel it, Sabrina could feel it, and everyone sans maybe Victoria from The Lyons Den could feel it. This was his time to rise and establish himself as one of the best SCW has to offer. One of it’s premier talents, and if he played his cards right, it’s World Heavyweight Champion.